Thank you for your interest in becoming a Certified Community Health Worker (CHW). CHWs are non-licensed frontline public health workers who are trusted members of and/or have an unusually close understanding of the community. Individuals may work in settings such as outreach, patient navigation systems, peer counseling environments, promoters in community settings, health aids in schools, health advocate or health educations arenas. CHWs assist with enrolling individuals into programs, coordinate resources within the community for individuals, provide health intervention strategies, develop training programs, and serve as a liaison between the community and organizations. CHWs do not provide direct clinical care, except for blood pressure or glucose readings.
The Southeast Missouri State University Partnership for Community Health Workers was awarded funding to increase the number of Certified CHW’s in Southeast Missouri serving the population. This partnership between Southeast Missouri State University and the Missouri Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Cancer and Chronic Disease Control works together to attract, train and retain CHWs interested in serving Missouri’s population.
Below is an overview of the Community Health Worker Certificate Training program. The tuition waiver application is also attached for those interested in applying for a for Community Health Workers Tuition Waiver.
A limited number of tuition waivers are available to students to complete the CHW Certificate programs. If selected for the tuition waiver, recipients must agree to meet the following requirements:
- Complete a satisfactory background check prior to accepting the tuition waiver. ($15 fee for background check must be submitted with application.)
- Successfully complete the CHW training program, including practicum hours.
- Applicant must submit official high school transcript or GED equivalent.
The course is composed of 100 hours of training and projects, held at the Southeast Missouri State University Main Campus and Sikeston Campus.
CHW Course Spring 20
- Week 1, January 16, 5:30-9pm
- Week 2, January 23, 5:30-9pm
- Week 3, January 30, 5:30-9pm
- Week 4, February 6, 5:30-9pm
- Week 5, February 13, 5:30-9pm
- Week 6, February 20, 5:30-9pm
- Week 7, February 27, 5:30-9pm
- Week 8, March 5, 5:30-9pm
- Week 9, March12, 5:30-9pm
- Week 10, March 19, 5:30-9pm
- Week 11, March 26, 5:30-9pm
- Week 12, April 2, 5:30-9pm
- Week 13, April 9, 5:30-9pm
- Week 14, April 16, 5:30-9pm
- Week 15, April 23, 5:30-9pm
- Week 16, April 30, 5:30-9pm
- Week 17, May 7, 5:30-9pm
Contact us at (573) 986-6897 or email@example.com for more information.